TED Talks – Eric Lewis rocks the jazz world
Notes from lecture with Michael
- Using the instrument you work with in a new and nontraditional way.
- Don’t get too experimental if you want to reach out to an audience with
average interest in music. It might scare them off.
- Telling a story.
- Let the viewer make his/her own story.
- Know your limits. Use the skills that you have got best possible.
- Lewis is a very skilled pianist, who knows his instrument inside out. Could not have made a piece like this if he did not know what he was doing.
Jerry Lee Lewis/John Cage/ Wladziu Valentino Liberace. Lewis work is a mixture of all these, which again becomes his own unique musical style.
(Parallels for us: Approach to the material – Someone wrote the material – Improvised jazz.)
- Musical background.
Using other peoples work
- Reefer to who the projects belongs to.
- Following – Acknowledge it.